Empirical Labs Lil FrEQ features
High Pass > The High Pass section is a sharp filter that cuts all content below one of eight pre-selected frequencies. We call this particular filter a "colored" filter since it is very steep and has a special shape that prevents thinning out frequencies just above the "cutoff" frequency. The corner frequency is indicated by LEDs that glow softly when the section is bypassed, and brightly then the section is engaged. As with all the EQ sections in the Lil FrEQ, there is a dedicated bypass switch.
High and Low Shelving > These are very similar to your standard "Tone Controls", but extremely high performance, providing exceptionally smooth boost and cut on the "bass" and "treble" frequencies.
Parametric EQ Sections > There are four sections of fully parametric EQ... possibly the cleanest parametric EQ section ever produced - operating below .000% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) at extremely high audio levels.
Dynamic EQ Section > The DS section combines filters with a compressor like circuit that can help contain and control excessive high frequency content such as sibilants, especially in the absence of other lower frequency content. There are two modes of operation, with threshold control as well as a frequency select control. There are four LEDs that indicate the amount of Gain Reduction: -1dB, -4dB, -8dB, -12dB. The DS section provides the highest performance, easiest to use, and most natural De-esser ever built, as well as a one of a kind, soft knee High Frequency Limiter.
- Eight sections of processing
- Two shelving equalizers
- One special "colored" 3rd order HP (Low Cut) sections with eight selectable frequencies
- Four fully parametric bands
- One dynamic equalizer section
- The Dynamic Section can be used for De-essing and high frequency softening
- Built-in instrument preamp/DI box Just plug a guitar, bass, etc into the front panel, engage the instrument switch and you have a high performance DI box. Distortion is below .0009% on the instrument preamp with 112dB dynamic range. Frequency response extends down to 50Hz.
- Three outputs, including a Class A transformer output to give you an isolated output with the wonderful soft saturation and beefy low end that you get from your favorite vintage gear.
- Huge "Distressor" knobs with high resolution numbering for easy readability and repeatable settings. They also go to 10 1/2!
- A "Bad" hard clip indicator light indicated when the user is within 1dB of hard clipping. It monitors every section of the EQ for internal clipping.
- Calibrated output level allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
- Discrete and integrated combination provides the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested and selected components. All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path - top quality components, most being high temperature, military spec parts.
- Switchable 110/220-volt operation with an extra fuse provided inside the unit.
- True EQ bypass via a hard wired switch that lets you know what it's really doing.
- XLR and 1/4" phone ins and outs. XLR is fully balanced designed, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot.
- No internal connectors - high reliability parts and military grade switches and relays. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability
- Three year limited warranty (Mercenary doubles to SIX)
- Hand wired and calibrated in the USA
- Frequency Response is 5Hz to 140 kHz on transformerless inputs and outputs.
- Transformer output response is 10 Hz to 110 kHz
- Dynamic Range: 120 dB from maximum output (.1% clipping) to minimum output. Greater than 110 dB signal to noise.
- Distortion Ranges between .00056% and .005% depending on mode and settings. DS section has THD
- DC coupled Input and Outputs and one transformer coupled Output
- high quality audio caps used internally.
- Dynamic Time Constants: Attack is approximately .5 mS, release is .04 sec, fixed internally