Since its original development in 1946, the TELEFUNKEN U 47 has been the microphone of choice for generations of recording professionals. The first condenser microphone to offer selectable polar patterns (cardioid and omni), the original U-47 also featured the famous M7 capsule which had been developed in 1928 by Georg Neumann. To this capsule was added an amplifier built from military surplus VF-14 tubes (they had been used in field and aircraft radios), and BV8 output transformer. The combination of these components created a sonic quality that was absolutely unheard of in the English speaking world of the mid-1940s when darker sounding, less detailed ribbon microphones were the standard. The introduction of the U-47 brought a new level of fidelity to the audio world, and is still considered to be one of the finest microphones ever produced.
Upon first glance of the new U-47 from TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik, it's easy to see the "family resemblance." The large, chrome head grille houses a newly manufactured M7 capsule. Its matte nickel finished body houses a new BV8 output transformer and a new VF-14k vacuum tube - a "plug and play" replacement for the rare VF-14M tubes found in the original.
Whether you're recording a symphony, a "crooner," or any facet of modern music, you'll find a great tool in the U-47. Its authoritative mid-range and extended low-end response dance from your ears . . . much as a vintage wine dances from the palate. Everything, from vocals to the loudest of guitar sounds, full on orchestral recording, beautiful backing vocal arrangements, or a chamber ensemble will benefit wildly from the rich and vibrant tone of this stunning microphone.
- Type: Condenser Pressure Gradient
- Capsule: M7 - dual sided gold sputtered center terminated
- Frequency Range: 20Hz-20kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid and Omni
- Sensitivity: approx 1.2 mvolts per dyne/cm^2
- Impedance: 200 ohms stock / 50 ohms switchable
- SPL: 138 dB
- Non Linear Distortion: less than or equal to 0.5% at 100 dyne/cm^2
- Tube Type: TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik VF14K metal tube
- Power: Dedicated Power Supply
- Weight: 22oz (624g)
- Size: 9 3/4" (248mm) length x 2 1/4" (57mm) diameter
- Extras: Locking Case, NG Style Power Supply, Shock Mount, Wooden Box